Students at Jönköping University have access to the Student Health Care Centre at the campus in Jönköping.

The Student Health Care is available free of charge to students during their entire period of study.

At the Student Health Care you can meet a counsellor if you need someone to talk to. Visits to the Student Health Care are completely confidential. If you need to see a doctor or get medical care, you are welcome to contact any of the local health care centres in Jönköping County.


Phone: +46 (0)36-10 10 00

Visiting address:

Student Health Care

Building K

Second floor, entrance D


How to seek health care

  • If you are seriously ill or have been seriously injured
  • Call 112 for an ambulance if you, or someone else, needs immediate emergency care
  • 1177 is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • The nurses who answer the calls assess your need for care, advise you, and guide you to appropriate care when needed
  • Call +46 771 11 77 00 if you have a phone number from outside of Sweden
  • You only pay for the cost of the call (regular phone call)
  • Contains thousands of articles about health care, symptoms, diseases, tests, treatments, and drugs
  • There is information about what you can do on your own to help you feel better and speed up your recovery
  • Contact information to all clinics in Sweden, se/Jonkopings-lan
  • Information on How healthcare works in Sweden
  • Primary health centres are your first choice for minor injuries an illness
  • You can be examined and treated for a majority of illnesses and conditions
  • Open weekdays 8 am – 5 pm
  • When the primary health centre is closed, you can access health care at the urgent care centre that is open in the evenings and weekends – Jourmottagning. Always call 1177 before you go

Before leaving for Sweden it might be wise to have a thorough check-up at your dentist’s. It can be both difficult and expensive to get an appointment with a dentist in Sweden. Should you still need to see a dentist during your stay in Jönköping, the public dental service is “Folktandvården”.


There are also private dental clinics. Search for “Tandläkare” at (phone directory). If you need urgent dental treatment, call any dental clinic and ask for advice. Please note that dental care is not included in the social benefits.

  • You will find information about costs and regulations when you need to seek medical care in Sweden on the following website: Healthcare in Sweden if you come from another country
  • There are different charges that apply if you come from an EU/EEA country (and Switzerland) or outside the EU/EEA area.
  • If you will be studying in Sweden for more than 365 days, you can register for a Swedish personal identity number. Once you have received the number, you will be entitled to medical care under the same terms and conditions as other residents in Sweden.

Before seeing a doctor it is recommended that you know whether your country has a national insurance agreement with Sweden and, if so, what this insurance covers. If your country does not have an agreement with Sweden, you are advised to take out personal insurance that covers accidents and illness. When you see a doctor, always bring your passport with you and, if you are a European citizen, your European Health Insurance card.

For urgent medical care you are advised to call the nearest care centre, “vårdcentral”, or hospital, “sjukhus”, before going there to seek treatment. Phone numbers to healthcare centres (vårdcentraler) you find on (Jönköping county Council website) or call 1177 to reach “Vårdguiden” for medical advice.

Hospital and Emergency ward: Ryhov County Hospital.


For more advice please contact the Student Health Care.



For up-to-date emergency information from the Swedish authorities, visit

Health care in Sweden

If you need health care in Sweden, different rules apply depending on which country you are from and if you are registered in the population register in Sweden. Always make sure that you have adequate health insurance. If you do not have insurance, you will have to pay the entire cost yourself if you need health care, which can be very expensive. Some countries have agreements with Sweden regarding medical benefits and in that case, you pay the same health care fees as a resident in Sweden.

Please contact the Swedish Social Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan) or visit their website for information regarding your country.

Please also note that if you plan to travel to other countries in Europe, other rules may apply regarding health care fees and you always have to make sure that you have adequate health insurance coverage.


Before arriving in Sweden, it is important to ensure that you have adequate insurance coverage.

Health Insurances

This supplementary insurance applies only to students who pay tuition fees to Jönköping University and is valid for as long the student is studying at Jönköping University. Please note that the FAS insurance only covers emergency medical and dental care. Be sure to read the FAS Terms and Conditions External link, opens in new window. to learn what is covered.


You may want to take out an additional health insurance before leaving from your home country. This especially applies to students who are traveling with pre-existing medical conditions or have ongoing medical treatment. If you are in need of medication for an ongoing treatment of a physical or mental illness, make sure, if possible, to bring medication from your home country that will last for the duration of your stay in Sweden. You also need a verification from your doctor that you need to bring these medications into Sweden.


The FAS insurance will not cover vaccinations and follow-up assessments of chronic diseases. Furthermore, the insurance will not cover prescription of ongoing treatments.

If you need to seek emergency medical and dental care you will need to pay for the treatment yourself and later fill out a claim form to be reimbursed by Kammarkollegiet.


The FAS Insurance is accepted by the Swedish Migration Agency as a compre­hen­sive healt­h­ insu­rance. Your Letter of Admission from Jönköping University contains the insurance policy information, and can be used as an insurance certificate when applying for the residence permit at the Migration Agency.

The insurance applies during the education period in accordance with the LADOK system which means that the student needs to be active and registered at a course in order to be covered by the insurance. The insurance includes:

  • disability and death benefits
  • medical and dental care
  • home transport
  • third party liability
  • legal expenses


The insurance is valid in Sweden only, 24-hours a day, as well as two weeks before the start of study and two weeks after the end of study. It also applies during direct travel between the home country and Sweden.


For more information, refer to the full terms and conditions External link, opens in new window. of this insurance.

This insurance applies to exchange and agreement students.

The insurance is valid in Sweden only, 24-hours a day, as well as two weeks before the start of study and two weeks after the end of study. It also applies during direct travel between the home country and Sweden.

Since the insurance is for emergencies only, students are recommended to purchase a separate insurance of their own.


The insurance includes:

  • disability and death benefits
  • medical and dental care
  • home transport
  • basic personal property coverage
  • third party liability
  • legal expenses


Students receive proof of their insurance policy in their letter of acceptance.

For more information about the insurances above including claim forms and contact info click here.

If you’re a citizen of any of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, you should register for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your home country before coming to Sweden. This card gives you the right to medical care at the same cost as Swedes. The European Commission has developed an EHIC app with more information on the card and how it works.


If you’re not able to receive your EHIC before leaving home due to long waiting times, you can request a temporary certificate from the same office in your home country that issues the EHIC.


If you don’t obtain an EHIC in your home country, you’ll need to arrange your own insurance coverage to cover costs, as medical care without insurance can be very expensive. However, you always have access to emergency care.

Other types of insurance

All students, regardless of nationality, who are admitted to and pursue their undergraduate, graduate or doctoral studies at Jönköping University, are covered by the Personal Injury Insurance for students. The insurance applies in Sweden and covers injuries during school hours and during travel to and from the location where school hours are spent.

The liability insurance includes damage or loss caused by the student during the time when the student resides at a work site, as part of ongoing training. The insurance is valid worldwide with the exception of the USA and Canada.

As a student, it is very important that you obtain home insurance for your temporary accommodation here in Jönköping, before you travel abroad. Read more about home insurance here.